Table of Contents
How to Choose the Right-Sized Garage Door Motor
The two most common electric garage door motor sizes are 1/2 HP and 3/4 hp. The size of the motor that you need depends on the size and type of garage door that you’ll be lifting and closing with the electric motor.
From my personal experience, my home uses a 1/2 HP overhead garage door motor for a double-car garage door. The door is not solid wood, it is also not insulated and the motor has been working fine for over 10 years now.
But from my research, the consensus says to use a ½ HP motor for single garage doors that are not solid wood and not insulated. Then use ¾ HP for single doors that are solid wood or insulated and all double doors.
Some would say that it’s fine to use a ½ HP motor to service a double garage door. But I am of the opinion that for those gray areas, err on the side of caution and do the job with the bigger motor.
You always get what you pay for and the larger motor has more than enough power that gives less strain on the system and will last longer.
How to Choose the Right Garage Door Lifting Mechanism
Basically, standard residential installations have two choices: metal chain or belt.
There are pros and cons for each of them.
Chain Drive Garage Door Opener
- Usually has more strength
- Potentially longer lasting
- Can lift more
Garage Door Belt Drive
- More popular among homeowners
- Ultra-Quiet operation
- Needs more adjustments because of stretching
- More expensive (by a little)
Popular Garage Door Opener Brands
Here is a listing of the more popular garage door opener brands that are on the market today.
- Genie: Genie garage door openers are reliable, affordable openers with an extensive range of features.
- Chamberlain: The Chamberlain brand produces powerful, durable openers and sells Wi-Fi-enabled MyQ technology.
- Craftsman: Craftsman garage door openers are known for their high-quality and are actually a private label made by Chamberlain.
- LiftMaster: The LiftMaster garage door opener is known for its belt-driven openers, as well as its MyQ technology and battery backup system.
- Marantec: The Marantec brand produces efficient, quiet openers and has a wide selection of accessories.
- Sommer: Known for its modern, stylish openers and its innovative Syncro-Matic technology.
- SkyLink: Known for its affordable openers and its convenient wireless control.
- Linear: Linear is known for its robust commercial openers and advanced safety features.
Garage Door Opener Safety
Garage door openers are a convenient and essential part of modern living. They allow you to easily and safely open and close your garage door with the touch of a button.
However, it’s important to remember that garage doors can also be a potential hazard, especially for children and pets. In this article, we’ll explore four of the most useful
garage door opener safety features that can help keep your home and loved ones safe.
1. Automatic Reverse Mechanism: One of the most important safety features of a garage door opener is the automatic reverse mechanism on a closing door. This feature is designed to prevent the door from closing on objects or people who may be in its path. When the door comes into contact with an object or person, it automatically reverses and opens back up. This is a critical safety feature that can help prevent serious injuries or accidents.
2. Manual Release Handle: Another important safety feature of a garage door opener is the manual release handle. This feature allows you to manually open or close the garage door in the event of a power outage or malfunction. It’s important to know where this handle is located and how to use it, so you can quickly and safely operate your garage door if needed.
3. Motion Detector Lights: Motion detector lights are an excellent safety feature that can help keep your garage and home secure. These lights automatically turn on when someone enters the garage, providing additional visibility and deterring potential intruders. This can help prevent break-ins and keep your home and family safe.
4. Rolling Code Technology: Rolling code technology is a security feature that helps prevent unauthorized access to your garage. This technology uses a unique code every time the remote control is used, making it much more difficult for someone to hack or copy your garage door opener code. This is an important security feature that can help protect your home and valuables. Garage door opener safety features are essential for keeping your home and family safe. By understanding the importance of these features and how they work, you can help prevent accidents and intrusions, and enjoy the convenience and peace of mind that comes with using a garage door opener. If you’re looking for a new garage door opener, be sure to choose one that includes these important safety features.
Garage Door Opener Security
When it comes to selecting a garage door opener for the purpose of security, there is a variety of opener features that one must take into consideration. These include:
- The Type of Drive: There exist three distinct types of drives for garage door openers: chain-drive, belt-drive, and screw-drive. The chain-drive openers are priced the most affordable, but are also the most vociferous. Belt-drive openers, on the other hand, are less noisy but also carry a higher price tag. Screw-drive openers are the least commonly used but are well-suited for larger garage doors.
- Security Features: One should search for garage door openers that have rolling code technology, which alters the access code after every use. It is also prudent to consider a model that has a backup battery, which ensures that the garage door remains operational during a power outage. Security lights come mostly standard these days.
- Remote Control Quality: you should consider the number of remote controls that you will need, as well as whether you desire the ability to manage your garage door through your smartphone.
- Motor Horse Power: The horsepower of the garage door opener is a crucial factor in determining the amount of weight it can lift. As such, it is essential to choose a model with sufficient horsepower to accommodate your door’s weight requirements.
We have covered the motor size considerations, the different garage door lifting mechanisms including their pros and cons, popular garage door opener brands, safety and security. We hope that you are now able to more confidently choose the garage door opener that best for your home.