Table of Contents
Gone are the days when you had to carry chunky boxes around in the name of storage devices. With advances in storage technology and an industry-wide transition from HDD to SSD storage, portable SSDs are now the standard.
With loads of options available online, we bring you a comparison of two of the highest-selling portable SSDs available online: the Samsung T7 and Sandisk Extreme.
These solid-state drives have similar read and write speeds and feature a compact body. Password protection features and varying storage options are also provided in the SSDs.
Keep reading to find out whether the solid-state drive Samsung T7 Vs Sandisk Extreme is best for you.
What are the storage capacities of Samsung T7 and Sandisk Extreme?
SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD Official Video
Portable SSD Samsung T7
In terms of brand value, Samsung has got an edge over Sandisk. Their T-series SSDs are probably the best data migration software on the market. They have garnered significant market share in all domains, whether smartphones or electronic devices.
The Samsung T7 was also voted Amazon’s Choice in the “External Storage and Hard Drives” category on Amazon. They also offer these hard drives in multiple color options and are known to have excellent customer support.
If you are on the lookout for a compact yet elegant-looking storage solution, then you can’t go wrong with the Samsung T-series SSD.
Unlike Samsung, Sandisk primarily makes card readers and solid-state drives. They are among the top three brands in their domain (the other two being Samsung and Intel). They are also known for their SD cards.
The one we have in focus has a rugged look and also comes with an IP55 rating, something which is a rare sighting in a product like hard drives. If you want a device that can easily outdo dust, rough usage, and some accidental splashes in the water, then going with a hard drive by Sandisk wouldn’t be a bad idea.
Both the Samsung T7 and Sandisk Extreme SSDs are highly durable portable storage devices.
The Samsung T7 has been drop tested for up to 6 feet.
The Sandisk Extreme has drop protection for up to a two-meter or 6.56168 foot drop.
Kicking things off with the design, this is an extremely crucial aspect, especially for professionals who are looking for a portable device to carry on the go. The Sandisk Extreme drive features a plastic body with a hardened rubber exterior. The grippy texture makes it easy to hold.
The brand claims that it should still work if dropped from a height of 2 meters or less. This drive also comes with an IP rating and has rounded corners with a cutout inside to be coupled with a carabiner.
On the other hand, the Samsung T7 has a rectangular shape and features an LED indicator, which is dearly missed in the Sandisk drive. It comes in three colors but does not have any official IP rating. However, the aluminum casing helps it hold its own against occasional drops and scratches.
Both hard drives are pretty much neck and neck when it came to filing transfer speeds. To give you a rough idea, both the drives transferred a 10GB file from a MacBook Pro in 10.3 (Sandisk) and 11 (Samsung) seconds.
The Gen 2 USB3.2 permits a maximum speed of up to 10GB/s. These speeds should be achievable with all the devices which feature thunderbolt three or later.
Since both these SSDs feature password protection, you can also input a password after installing the software that comes bundled within the drive. As for mobile devices, you can download their respective applications from the Playstore and AppStore.
As for sustained write performance, thermal throttling, and cache recovery statistics, the Sandisk drive takes another win. After 15 minutes of sustained usage, the temperatures on both the drives remained below 45 degrees Celsius.
Samsung offers a comprehensive three-year warranty, whereas Sandisk covers repairs for five years. That said, both the SSDs can easily last around 7-10 years if handled properly.
This is a dilemma that many buyers face when buying external storage. An HDD storage option of the same capacity might cost you significantly less in most cases. You might even have noticed that only a subset of machines available these days feature an HDD drive.
This is because it compromises on speeds, not just by a small margin but tens of minutes; this is mainly because an HDD stores all your data on a non-volatile storage chip, which doesn’t need to be refreshed when you reboot your computer. It retains all the information, unlike RAM. SSD offers the same functionality but rather stores your data on an interconnected flash-memory which helps increase transfer speeds significantly.
If you need more information on popular HHD models read our review for WD Elements vs My Book Hard Drive.
Benefits of SSDs over HDDs
- Less noisy
- Less likely to break because they are resistant to drops and bumps
- Smaller, lighter and therefore more portable
- Much faster
Amazon Best Selling Portable SSDs
- ADOBE MEMBERSHIP: Get a two-month membership of Adobe Creative Cloud Photography plan on us when you purchase and register an eligible 1TB or 2TB Samsung SSD*.Specific uses: Personal, gaming, Business
- RUGGED DURABILITY: Tough, fast, and compact, the all new rugged PSSD T7 Shield is built to endure with the space to create thanks to an IP65 rating for Dust and Water resistance, High-tech rubber exterior controls heat to maintain steady performance .date transfer rate:1050.0 megabytes_per_second
- KEEP COOL AT HIGH SPEED: Transfer massive files in seconds; USB 3.2 Gen 2 and PCIe NVMe achieve soaring sequential read/write speeds of up to 1,050/1,000 MB/s, allowing you to edit directly from the drive; The high-tech rubber exterior with Dynamic Thermal Guard controls heat to maintain steady performance for even giant projects
- MIGHTY TOUGH: Ready for the rough and tumble; Shoot on location and wander the wild while feeling confident your data is securely resistant against water and dust with an IP65 rating; The rugged design and advanced outer elastomer add extra durability to even endure a 9.8 foot drop
- COMPATIBLE WITH YOUR DEVICES: The T7 Shield is compatible with PC, Mac, Android devices, gaming consoles, and more; Included in the box are USB Type C-to-C and Type C-to-A cables for added convenience. T7 Shield is compatible with Samsung Smart TV’s
- PORTABLE STORAGE: The light, pocket-sized Portable SSD T7 delivers fast speeds with easy and reliable data storage for transferring large files, including crucial business documents, games, or movies
- TRANSFER IN A FLASH: Transfer massive files within seconds with the incredible speed of USB 3.2 Gen 2; Embedded PCIe NVMe technology delivers blazing fast sequential read/write speeds of up to 1,050/1,000 MB/s*, respectively, making the T7 2x as fast as the previous T5 model**
- BUILT STRONG AND SECURE: Unlike HDDs, the Portable SSD T7 has no moving parts so it's more resistant to shock; Plus, its solid aluminum unibody construction adds further protection, keeping your data safe from falls of up to 6 ft*** and is backed by a 3-year limited warranty****
- RELIABLE THERMAL SOLUTION: The T7’s advanced thermal solution uses the Dynamic Thermal Guard to withstand and control heat, so the portable SSD stays at an optimal temperature even at fast speeds*****
- SLEEK AND COMPACT: Roughly the size of a credit card and only weighing 2 oz, the T7 fits comfortably in the palm of your hand and is light enough to take your files on the go
- Get NVMe solid state performance with up to 1050MB/s read and 1000MB/s write speeds in a portable, high-capacity drive(1) (Based on internal testing; performance may be lower depending on host device & other factors. 1MB=1,000,000 bytes.)
- Up to 3-meter drop protection and IP65 water and dust resistance mean this tough drive can take a beating(3) (Previously rated for 2-meter drop protection and IP55 rating. Now qualified for the higher, stated specs.)
- Use the handy carabiner loop to secure it to your belt loop or backpack for extra peace of mind.
- Help keep private content private with the included password protection featuring 256‐bit AES hardware encryption.(3)
- Easily manage files and automatically free up space with the SanDisk Memory Zone app.(5)
- Solid state performance with up to 800MB/s read speeds in a portable drive. (Based on internal testing; performance may be lower depending on host device, interface, usage conditions and other factors. 1MB=1,000,000 bytes.)
- Back up your content and memories on a storage solution that fits seamlessly into your mobile lifestyle.
- Take it with you on your adventures—up to two-meter drop protection means this durable drive can take a beating. (Based on internal testing.)
- Secure it to your belt loop or backpack for extra peace of mind thanks to the tough rubber hook.
- From SanDisk, a brand professional photographers trust to take on assignments.
- Compatible devices: Gaming Console
- Gain free access to 100+ great games with a limited time membership to Xbox Game Pass
- Dive into the action with a quick step by step setup and plug and play USB 3.0 connectivity—no power cable needed
- This external solid state drive features a lightweight, shock resistant design with a sleek black finish to complement the Xbox One X
- Enjoy long term peace of mind with the included three year limited warranty and one-year Rescue Service
- Incredible performance with read speeds up to 1050 MB/s
- Works with Windows, Mac, iPad Pro, Chromebook, Android, Linux, PS4, and Xbox One with USB-C 3.1 Gen2 and USB-A connectors
- Beautiful and durable design, featuring an anodized aluminum unibody core. Drop proof up to 7.5 feet. Extreme-temperature, shock, and vibration proof
- Backed by Micron, one of the largest manufacturers of flash storage in the world
- English (Publication Language)
Last update on 2023-11-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API